"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

Monday, February 26, 2007

Last week report on training:

Well let's see last week was runs of 5,5 & 14 miles. Saturday was the nicest day to run. The weather was about 35ish, sunny, not too windy.

In true, old-school fashion, i dressed with an extra layer, filled up the camel-bak, grabbed a gu, my mp3, and trusty Garmin.

On the way out, i grabbed an apple to eat as i set out for what would be my longest run since the Marathon.

Since the Bayshore is a down and back marathon i figured to incorporate that style in my long runs. So i just ran, in a general direction for 7.5 miles, stopped, downed the gu, and headed back.

It was fun and i ended up with 14 miles and 1:58:05. Not bad. Since i was keeping track for a 1/2 marathon, i finished a 1/2 er about 1 minute/mile faster pace, than waaaaaay back April 1, 2006 when it took my 2:03 to run a half marathon. i think garmin had me at a 8:24 pace.

Extra special was the extra weight of the camel-bak and chillier than race-day conditions. Give me a race day scenario with a little warmer weather and i think i could have been faster. At least not slower.

My goal for the Bayshore, now seems realistic. It's a long 90 days away, but....3 hours to hit the 21.2 mile mark. If i can do this, i figure 45 minutes to go 5 miles and i can cruise the ending at a 9 minute/mile pace and if not, a 12 minute pace still keeps me at 4 hours.

Cross-training is going well, and even though Friday is a rest day, i did a little tennis that day. It was a little more work on my calves than i was expecting.

This week is a slightly shorter overall training week. No speed work, no tempo runs, just 3 basic runs of 7,7 & 6 miles.

It appears i have been tagged with 6 weird things about me....thanks Scott!!! Give me day to contemplate this....

of course, i can't divulge any campaign secrets.....hmmmmm???

Thanks for reading

Oooops, i almost forgot..... landmarks in the Patti Smith video....

The Murals from the Detroit Institute of Arts...
Joe Louis Fist....
Lafayette Coney Island....

3 comments:

Nitmos said...

Once the cold weather lifts and the layers come off, I'm counting on magically finding another 15 seconds per mile that was somehow trapped in the sub-layers. Probably a pipe dream...

McMillan tells me that, at your 14 mile posted pace, you should be able to do a 3:51 marathon. And we know that McMillan is never wrong!?

Triseverance said...

Dude, I think you are selling yourself seriously short. Now I don't want to talk out of school. But if you are running a 14 mile long run at a comfortable pace at 8:30ish you easily have a sub 3:45 or even 3:40 in you.

But perhaps you want to just run for the enjoyment, if that's the case, disregard my comment as ramblings related to Cabin Fever.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike! Yes, I had already signed up for Bayshore. No worries - I'll be there!!