"Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Watching A Train Wreck....on TV

OK, I'll be the first to admit that I like to watch some questionable shows on TV. Never missed a season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette or Dancing with the Stars, will tune in occasionally to America's Got Talent and will linger longer than necessary on other mindless TV shows.

But last night I think we hit an all time low....True Beauty. It was on at 10:00 after the premier of the Bachelor and since I was working on scrapbooking and not really paying attention I left it on for background noise. Mike was ready to head to the computer and catch up on Facebook...he hasn't been there in the last 2-3 weeks. But then the unthinkable happened...it turned into a train wreck and neither one of us could stop watching the horror. Nothing like group of 10 people who think they are the hottest people on the planet tell you how hot they are for an hour during prime time.


When the show finally ended we both just looked at each other and questioned....they cancelled Boston Legal, a funny, topical, intelligent and sometimes irreverant dramady and put this in it's time slot? That has got to be the biggest slap in the faces of TV viewers. We don't need anymore "reality" TV and we certainly don't need this type of "reality".

I mean seriously...ABC already took away October Road a well written show with characters you could care about and that actually captured small town America pretty well. Plus, since it was cancelled after the second season (just after the writers strike) we were left with about 800 cliff hangers.

Now there's talk of Dirty Sexy Money being cancelled...what are they going to replace that with, a knock off of NBC's Momma's Boy? And no, we haven't watched a single minute of that train wreck. Also, Eli Stone is going away too... being replaced with another Primetime: What Would You Do? series. Seriously? This has been done to death as well...though I will admit, I'd like to see the obnoxious Americans in France....as they check out the Eifel Tower and debate if the one in Vegas is actually larger.

Honestly, I don't watch THAT much TV as this post makes it look like. There are just a couple of shows that I really enjoy(ed) watching and it's irritating and insulting when the networks pull them and replace them with mindless crap.

Just needed to get that off my chest...

4 comments:

Nitmos said...

See but you watched True Beauty, right?! That's why it is on...train wreck and all.

Shoot me an email...not sure I have you and Luki's email for some reason (this is your blog after all, right?) We booked a room in Cincy. Not sure I can convince the Mrs. to camp. She tends to be anti-camp. Is Luki still planning Cincy?

Email for me is on my blog if you need it.

Nitmos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gknee said...

Our favorite shows are being cancelled too..for reality shows. If you can really call them reality. Here..let's let 10 people live in a mansion and see what happens..pfft.

We started turning to other channels like AMC, FX,USA or TNT for our entertainment now

L*I*S*A said...

I loved Eli Stone simply for the George Michael cameo. :)